Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Elias Russell Home Remodeled by Cowan Family in 1991

Elias Russell homestead

(photo above taken by Kenneth Russell during his visit there in 1994)
Elias Russell and his wife Addie Jane Mahaffey Russell lived their entire married lives in the house he built near Cass, Arkansas about 1901. I could be off a few years on that date as he may have started the house before he married Addie Jane on September 22, 1900. They reared twelve children there and after Elias died January 19, 1960, Addie continued to live in the house for a few more years before their oldest daughter, Bertie Lee Russell, insisted her mother move to town, a move that Addie was very much against. Addie died December 7, 1970, and I hope she was able to visit her old home often, but I don't know that for sure.
In 1991 the new owners of the property, Bernice and Curtis Cowan, restored all six of the buildings on the place. Elias and Addie's son, Seldon Russell, who lived nearby, visited the property with one of his daughters, Teresa, and took photographs of the buildings in their restored state. He also made a video of his visit, explaining as he walked around how each building was used by his parents. I have posted those photographs on a webpage here http://www.viewoftherockies.com/cass1.html
Seldon passed away in April of 2008 and I believe the Cowans are gone now too. As I write this in 2013 I don't know who currently owns the old Elias Russell place or what condition it is in but I'm eternally grateful to Uncle Seldon for sharing his photographs of the restored homestead with us.

4 comments:

Jimmy McLane said...

pHi Pam. I have Durning ancestors from Cass, and am highly speculating that my ggg grandmother Durning was a Russell, but I can't find proof. Her name was Margaret, and she was married to George W. Durning (1823-1857) who is buried in Cass Cemetery. Do you know much about these families that might be some help?

Russell said...

I don't know this for certain but I believe your Margaret was an Anderson, not a Russell. I show that she was born about 1831 in Tennessee and last name "possibly" Anderson. I'll let you know if I learn she was a Russell. Thank you for writing.

Avery Jane said...

Since your posting, you may have learned about the new inhabitants of your family'homeplace. It was owned for many years by another family and recently sold this fall to my parents. Our family has lived in the area for now 7 generations, and my parents are elated to enjoy the place. I would love to share new photos with you if you're interested. Thanks for all of your writing. It gives a whole new understanding of your family's lives and legacies.

Russell said...

Thank you, Avery Jane! I apologize for not seeing your message until now. I would dearly love the see photos of the old Russell place now, and learn all about your family owning it. Thank you. Pam Russell